Friday, June 18, 2010

Running my life...again



I started my morning run at a slow pace, through a tunnel of shade provided by a grove of Crape Myrtles, I gained enough momentum to make it up a hill and on to running my mile. I finished in about 9 or 10 minutes, I could have finished a fast paced walk in under 15. The pace is a huge improvement from the start of this project. I knew that around the last 400 meters I would be fighting to get to the end of the course. I prefer to run in the neighborhood because it's not repetitive like being on a track but because I'm out of shape I chose a park trail with fewer surprises. You get a little more of a natural feel on a trail also.
Sometimes you get so distracted by looking at nature you can forget that you're running. And another perk is that you have a little more control over where the high pace running will take place. On the road, the hills and valleys determine the pace. I remember seeing this documentary about people who ran for miles and miles daily across sand. They didn't stop, until they reached their desired locations. They had this mild style of running never picking their feet up high, just enough to graze the sand, to keep their feet from going down too far. They were runners with a purpose. Getting to their next destination without taking for ever, made this practice viable. I guess they wanted alternatives to using a camel. In my situation, to be honest, I wouldn't consider myself' jogging yet, I run at a pace that is a little more than walking. Very little leg stress. I pick up my speed only to make it up elevations, but the pace stays comfortable.
Running makes me feel great. When I return home from running I feel a deep sense of relaxation. It's easier to do stretches and floor exercises because of the relief that I feel. I train for about 15 minutes. It's great to do a little exercise, a low impact to stay motivated.
I thought it would be a good idea to start blogging about it. Here's my commitment in writing. I want to make an official commitment to post at least weekly on positive activities.


The activities can include:
relaxing exercises
running
eating healthy or doing something that relieves stress

Consider this my first post, I would like to invite anyone that would like to share in this commitment to join me. I will post your blog on my site so others can view your posts as well.



Have a fulfilling day!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

This adds a lovely personal touch to my blog. Thank you for your comment.