Saturday, June 19, 2010

Organizing Life



I want to be up front and tell you that I'm no poster child for organization. I really admire it though. Having perfectly organized boxes full of cute things does interest me a great deal. I will expand on these interests here in "Organizing Life."


Love your paper, but handle it as few times as possible. I recommend reading it, and then speeding it to its place.

Photo: We heart it

In a magazine that I was reading had an article that pictured some of the most expertly filed paperwork. The file folders where a lovely pink and categories labeled with this gorgeous handwriting. I was instantly intrigued with the absolute brilliance of this process. I immediately wanted to learn this method of filing. To me, I had found another passion. The thought of learning to file this way was really intimidating, to me it looked more like art. I can admit to loving men who keep everything in its place. They never sweat when things are out of control. An example of this spirit for me was Jimmy Carter. He maintained a since of coolness that could only be maintained through a strong sense of order.
I took as much from the photo as I could and tried to find a book that taught this method. This sent me on an organization search that continues until this day because I don't have a natural affinity for handling piles of paperwork. It is from bits and pieces of information that I found a way to design a file cabinet that I could be proud. Here are some of the problem that I encountered and tips that I've learned to eventually correct them.

Determining how you would best categorize your paperwork (monthly, subject, names, number) however your paperwork comes in, is where you should start. ( Do this before purchasing filing materials).

Problem with this system is that there is almost always papers that come in (that you must keep) that don't fall into the system. Example: A random insurance paper, certificates, receipts, miscellaneous purchases, etc.

If you have a wide variety of subjects it must be done yearly with folders for different subjects on a monthly basis. This system should have the number cabinets for the subjects that you handle. Example: personal file, business, education.

If you don't have many subjects you can use color hanging files & folders and use a different color for the subject that you handle in the same file cabinet. Example: Blue filing folders & hangers for personal, red folders for business, etc.

Photo: We heart it
It took me months to really get organized. Color coding helped with subjects outside of regularly filed papers, labels as well.

2 comments:

  1. Girl, this is like Real Simple Magazine, which I was reading earlier, beautiful and simply organized, I am on a roll this will help!
    xx
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

This adds a lovely personal touch to my blog. Thank you for your comment.